UP Khap panchayat booked for Talibani diktat
Baghpat: Reacting to an Uttar Pradesh village panchayat’s diktat - banning women under the age of 40 years from going out shopping and using mobile phones - Home Minister P Chidambaram on Friday said there is no place for such diktats in a democracy.
Talking tough, Chidambaram said that the police must act against people who have imposed such a diktat.
Meanwhile, police have registered a case against 10 people of the village panchayat, which had issued the Taliban-like decree banning love marriages and unescorted evening walks by young women.
Reports, today, claimed that the village panchayat also barred young men and women from using mobile phones on roads and in by-lanes.
The members of the panchayat, who met yesterday, also directed the women, under the age of 40, to cover their heads while stepping out of their homes and barred them from leaving their homes unescorted after sunset.
During the congregation, the members of the village panchayat said that love marriages, especially inter-caste marriages, create problems for the society and distort the social fabric. Hence, it was also decided that they will not allow love marriages in their villages, and those who disobey will be banished from the village.
While the members of the panchayat issued a Taliban-like diktat, they also condemned the practice of dowry, calling it a punishable offence.
Villagers belonging to the Asaara village in Baghpat later said that they completely accept the decision taken by the village panchayat.
The Khap panchayat members also decided that they will not allow love marriages in their villages and those who disobey will be banished from the village.
Ironically, these decisions were taken during a congregation of 36 clans in Baghpat, which is barely 50 km from the national capital.
When quizzed by reporters, Superintendent of Police Baghpat VK Shekhar said they have come to know about such diktats by the panchayat and ordered an inquiry by the district intelligence unit into the matter.
He said no arrest has been made in connection with the panchayat`s directives and any action would be taken after getting the report of the intelligence unit.
In northern India, village panchayats or Khaps are powerful institutions, which are hard to defy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Gujjars revive agitation for 5% quota in jobs, block rail track
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced