UP Legislative Assembly adjourned till Tuesday
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Legislative
Assembly Monday witnessed noisy scenes as Opposition members
alleging poor law and order and recent rape cases disrupted
its proceedings several times following which the Chairman
adjourned the House till Tuesday.
As soon as the House proceedings began at 11.00 am,
members of Opposition parties including SP, BJP and Congress
jumped into the well demanding a debate on the recent rape
cases, including Banda incident.
As the uproar continued, Chairman Ganesh Shanker
Pandey adjourned the House for half-an-hour, which was later
extended till 12.00 pm.
However, when the House assembled again, the
Opposition members attempted to disrupt its proceedings after
The Opposition members were demanding a debate on
Banda rape case, in which a ruling BSP MLA is an accused,
leading to an adjournment of another half an hour.
The House was finally adjourned till tomorrow after
the Opposition members jumped into well again at 12.30 pm
demanding the debate.
Leader of the House Swami Prasad Maurya alleged that
Opposition members were not interested in the debate and were
only wasting time.
He said that the allegations being levelled by the
Opposition were baseless and false.
The Mayawati government is facing criticism over a
number of cases including the Banda case involving the rape of
a Dalit girl allegedly by a BSP MLA and the recent case in
Bindaki where a 16-year-old Dalit girl had her nose and ear
chopped off after she resisted a rape attempt by three men.
Meanwhile, the Legislative Council was adjourned till
tomorrow after obituary references.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees