UP Legislative Assembly adjourned till Tuesday
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Legislative
Assembly Monday witnessed noisy scenes as Opposition members
alleging poor law and order and recent rape cases disrupted
its proceedings several times following which the Chairman
adjourned the House till Tuesday.
As soon as the House proceedings began at 11.00 am,
members of Opposition parties including SP, BJP and Congress
jumped into the well demanding a debate on the recent rape
cases, including Banda incident.
As the uproar continued, Chairman Ganesh Shanker
Pandey adjourned the House for half-an-hour, which was later
extended till 12.00 pm.
However, when the House assembled again, the
Opposition members attempted to disrupt its proceedings after
The Opposition members were demanding a debate on
Banda rape case, in which a ruling BSP MLA is an accused,
leading to an adjournment of another half an hour.
The House was finally adjourned till tomorrow after
the Opposition members jumped into well again at 12.30 pm
demanding the debate.
Leader of the House Swami Prasad Maurya alleged that
Opposition members were not interested in the debate and were
only wasting time.
He said that the allegations being levelled by the
Opposition were baseless and false.
The Mayawati government is facing criticism over a
number of cases including the Banda case involving the rape of
a Dalit girl allegedly by a BSP MLA and the recent case in
Bindaki where a 16-year-old Dalit girl had her nose and ear
chopped off after she resisted a rape attempt by three men.
Meanwhile, the Legislative Council was adjourned till
tomorrow after obituary references.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore