UP legislators to have 3G connectivity
Lucknow: Legislators of both Houses in the Uttar Pradesh Assembly will soon be armed with the latest gadgets and web-friendly mobile phones having 3G connectivity, thanks to new Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav`s initiative to overhaul governance using information technology.
A government order to this effect has been issued to the departments concerned by offices of the Speaker of the Assembly and chairman of the Legislative Council, highly placed sources said. The financial modalities have also been worked out by the finance department and a sum of Rs 6,000 per month will be given to the 403 Members of the Legislative Assembly (MLAs) and 99 Members of the Legislative Council (MLCs) for maintaining the devices.
"This is a good move, it adds to connectivity and is in sync with the changing times," Rita Bahuguna Joshi, the state Congress chief who is the legislator from Lucknow Cantt, said.
Irfan Solanki, a ruling Samajwadi Party (SP) legislator from Sisamau in Kanpur, is also full of praise for the move.
"We used to get this allowance earlier too, but as this would be specially for 3G connectivity, it is a very positive step," he said.
Kalraj Mishra, a senior BJP leader and first-time legislator says he has no idea of the move but sees it as a very positive step.
The move to equip the MLAs with latest gadgets -- web-friendly mobile phones, data cards and 3G connectivity -- has come after Akhilesh broached the topic with senior government officials.
He asked them to work out the modalities, after which the project was flagged off.
"After consultations with the finance department and approval by the law department, the project has been approved," an official said. The project would cost Rs 3.12 crore per month to the state exchequer.
Until now the legislators used to be given a land line at home and a mobile phone.
Uttar Pradesh`s 38-year-old Chief Minister has been pitching for a complete IT overhaul in the state and has been encouraging various government departments to become tech-savvy.
HCL chairman Shiv Nadar had also recently come to the state capital to discuss the possibilities of "IT intervention" in governance.
The Samajwadi Party government has promised laptops and tablets to students in the state who pass Class 10 and 12. The proposal was passed in the first meeting of the state cabinet March 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly