UP: Main accused in CMO murder case found dead
Lucknow: The main accused in the murder
of Chief Medical Officer (Family Welfare) B P Singh was on Wednesday found dead inside the Lucknow district jail hospital here.
"Deputy CMO Yogendra Singh Sachan committed suicide
inside the toilet of the district jail hospital this evening,"
Deputy Inspector General of Police Lucknow D K Thakur said.
The DIG said Sachan was admitted to the jail hospital
for general ailment and he had undergone angiography in the
Sachan was named in CMO murder case as the main
accused by police following arrest of three persons by the STF
on June 17.
Singh was shot dead by unidentified persons on April 2
morning when he had gone out for a walk.
The STF had on June 17 arrested three persons - Ram
Krishna Verma, Anand Tewari and Vinod Sharma - who had
confessed to the crime and named Sachan as the main
Cabinet Secretary Shashank Shekhar Singh had said the
police had picked up the trio from the Madiyaon police station
area in Lucknow. They told the police that they had received
Rs 7 lakhs for committing the crime.
On the motive behind the murder, the cabinet secretary
said it was the outcome of massive irregularities in the
department with regard to purchase of medicines and other
items besides payments, in which the role of Sachan was also
Sachan was already in jail as preliminary inquires
had pointed an accusing finger at him.
Sachan was arrested immediately after Singh`s murder
when the investigating agencies detected swindling of funds to
the tune of several crore of rupees in the implementation of
the National Rural Health Mission in the state.
Sachan`s name was also being linked to the murder of
another CMO (Family Welfare) Vinod Kumar Arya, who was shot
dead in October last year.
Like Singh, Arya too was shot dead near his Vikas
Nagar residence while he had gone out for morning walk on
Meanwhile, terming Sachan`s death as suspicious the
opposition parties have demanded a CBI probe.
"Death of Sachan is marred into controversy and we
demand a CBI probe into the incident. The party will stage
demonstrations at all district headquarters tomorrow to press
for the demand," SP state president Akhilesh Yadav said.
Congress state president Rita Bahuguna Joshi and BJP
state chief Surya Pratap Shahi have also demanded a high-level
inquiry into the incident.
"This is not a common incident as high profile people
are involved in this therefore a CBI inquiry should be
conducted into this," Joshi said.
RJD state president Ashok Singh said suicide by Sachan
was a suspicious incident which can only be exposed by the CBI
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- DNA: Today in History, 18th February, 2017
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test