UP: Mayawati to be elected unopposed to RS
Lucknow: Only 10 nominations have been filed
for as many Rajya Sabha seats from Uttar Pradesh, paving the
way for unopposed election of all candidates, including BSP
supremo Mayawati and Samajwadi Party`s Jaya Bachchan.
With the filing of nominations closing today in the
biennial polls in 15 states, only 10 candidates have filed
their nominations in UP, state principal secretary Vidhan
Sabha Pradeep Dubey said.
With a strength of 224 MLAs in the house of 403, ruling
Samajwadi Party has fielded maximum six candidates --
actor-turned-politician Jaya Bachchan, Kiranmay Nanda, Darshan
Singh Yadav, Naresh Agarwal, Brij Chushan Tiwari and Munawwar
From BSP, only two candidates -- party supremo Mayawti and
Munkaad Ali -- have filed nominations and the party has a
strength of 80 MLAs.
From BJP, which won 47 seats in the assembly elections,
Vinay Katiyar has filed nomination, whereas Rashid Masood has
filed papers as joint candidate of Congress and RLD having a
combined strength of 37 MLAs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video