UP: Mayawati to be elected unopposed to RS
Lucknow: Only 10 nominations have been filed
for as many Rajya Sabha seats from Uttar Pradesh, paving the
way for unopposed election of all candidates, including BSP
supremo Mayawati and Samajwadi Party`s Jaya Bachchan.
With the filing of nominations closing today in the
biennial polls in 15 states, only 10 candidates have filed
their nominations in UP, state principal secretary Vidhan
Sabha Pradeep Dubey said.
With a strength of 224 MLAs in the house of 403, ruling
Samajwadi Party has fielded maximum six candidates --
actor-turned-politician Jaya Bachchan, Kiranmay Nanda, Darshan
Singh Yadav, Naresh Agarwal, Brij Chushan Tiwari and Munawwar
From BSP, only two candidates -- party supremo Mayawti and
Munkaad Ali -- have filed nominations and the party has a
strength of 80 MLAs.
From BJP, which won 47 seats in the assembly elections,
Vinay Katiyar has filed nomination, whereas Rashid Masood has
filed papers as joint candidate of Congress and RLD having a
combined strength of 37 MLAs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference