UP memorials case: ED books Mayawati`s ministers for money laundering
New Delhi: Enforcement Directorate (ED) on Monday registered a money laundering case against two ex-ministers of erstwhile Mayawati government of Uttar Pradesh and over two dozen others for alleged financial irregularities in the construction of memorials in the state when the BSP chief was Chief Minister.
The central probe agency has registered a criminal FIR (called Enforcement Case Information Report) against BSP leader Naseemuddin Siddiqui, a close aide of Mayawati, and former Health Minister Babu Singh Kushwaha to probe alleged laundering of Rs 1,400 crore siphoned off in the construction of memorials in Lucknow and Noida.
The ED also booked 19 others, including some government officials and engineers, under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) after taking cognisance of an year-old probe report against these people in this case by the state Lokayukta and a January 2014 FIR of the UP Vigilance department.
"The agency will probe money laundering against these individuals and others who generated illegal funds from the money of the state exchequer. Notices will soon be issued against those named," ED sources said.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav had ordered a probe in this case soon after he took charge of the state. Yadav had also asked the Lokayukta to probe alleged irregularities and corruption in supply of pink sandstone from Mirzapur for the construction of memorials and parks during BSP rule.
UP Lokayukta N K Mehrotra had, in his report submitted last year, said irregularities to the tune of Rs 1,400 crore were detected, which was 34 per cent of the total budget for construction of memorials and parks in Lucknow and Noida.
Mehrotra`s report had said that a total of Rs 4,267.83 crore was allocated to four departments, of which Rs 4,188.54 crore was spent and "corruption" of Rs 1,410.50 crore has been detected. He had then recommended filing of FIRs against the accused after which the state Vigilance department filed the same in January this year.
Sources said the agency has written to certain banks and a few financial intermidiaries to obtain financial transactions data of the accused after going through the Lokayukta report which it had obtained earlier.
The ED, according to sources, has also identified both movable and immovable assets which will be attached under the PMLA.
Kushwaha is already under probe by the ED and the CBI in connection with the alleged financial irregularities in the National Rural Health Scheme (NRHM).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'