UP minister asked to explain sexist comments
Lucknow: Even as the controversy surrounding former minister Raja Bhaiyya for his alleged role in a police officer`s killing refused to die down, another Uttar Pradesh minister appeared headed for trouble on Friday.
The National Commission for Women (NCW) Friday sought an explanation from Khadi and Cottage Industry Minister Raja Ram Pandey for his alleged sexist comments about an Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer last month.
Last month, during a public function at Kamla Nehru Institute of Technology in Sultanpur, Pandey openly praised Sultanpur`s women district magistrates (DMs) for their "beauty".
The minister, during his speech, said: "It is my privilege that I`m the guardian minister of Sultanpur for the second time and every time I get a chance to work with beautiful woman DMs."
He was referring to K Dhanalakshmi, the incumbent district magistrate, and recalled how he always thought about her predecessor Kamini Chauhan Ratan that "no one could ever match her beauty".
The NCW has sought explanation from Pandey regarding the "abjectly sexist and improper comments made by him".
NCW member Nirmala Samant Prabhavalkar has asked Pandey to present his detailed comments and/or written reply duly supported by an affidavit in response to the complaint filed by activist Nutan Thakur within 15 days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials