UP minister denies levelling corruption allegation against senior
Lucknow: A day after reports appeared in a section of the press about a minister levelling charges of "rampant corruption" in seeds purchase against his senior, Rajiv Kumar Singh on Monday denied that he made any complaint or demanded any inquiry in this connection.
"I have sent a letter to the chief minister Akhilesh Yadav on changing the process in which seeds are purchased for the benefit of farmers and not for complaining about anyone or demanding inquiry," Rajiv told a news agency here.
"The reports in media in this regard are far from truth ...In fact the manner in which it has been reported it appears to be aimed at defaming the government," Rajiv said, adding, he has no complaints against his senior minister Anand Singh and there are no problems with him.
To a question, the minister of state said he had called for changing the process in which seeds are purchased so that the people, especially farmers, could get maximum benefit.
"The earlier policy is based on negotiations whereas we would want it through inviting tenders so that farmers get seeds at cheaper rates," Rajiv said.
Samajwadi Party spokesman Rajendra Chaudhary also termed the issue mentioned in the media as trivial.
"If there is any such complaint of corruption in seeds purchase, it would be in the knowledge of the chief minister but it seems that there is nothing serious in this issue," Chaudhary said.
According to reports in a section of media, minister of state for agriculture, Rajiv, had yesterday alleged that Anand, his Cabinet minister, had ordered UP Seeds Development Corporation to make purchases at higher rates and had demanded a probe into it.
Anand had however rejected Rajiv`s allegations, saying the government had decided against purchasing "a single grain of seed" from private agencies.
"Purchase of seeds had my sanction, and also the sanction of a committee comprising agriculture production commissioner, the minister (Rajiv) who has made these allegations, and the managing director of Seeds Corporation," Anand said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH