UP minister Kameshwar Upadhyaya dead
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Sports Minister Kameshwar Upadhyaya passed away late Monday night, his family said Tuesday. He was 76.
The minister breathed his last at Sir Ganga Ram hospital in New Delhi where he had been admitted Sep 23 after respiratory complications.
Upadhyaya was having a lot of breathing problems for the past two days and he was not able to recover, his personal secretary, Omendra Kumar Chaturvedi, said.
Considered very close to Samajwadi Party (SP) chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, Upadhyay was known to be a simpleton who lived in a one room accommodation in Lucknow and was one of the very few socialist leaders left in the ruling party.
His mortal remains reached the state capital Tuesday morning. After a brief stop at the SP headquarters the body would be taken to his ancestral village Bhatparrani, from where he was a legislator.
He will be cremated Tuesday evening.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez