UP minister opposes anti-encroachment drive
Gonda (UP): Uttar Pradesh Minister Vinod Kumar Singh, who was alleged of manhandling a senior medical officer last year, has yet again kicked up a controversy by opposing the district authorities for carrying out an anti-encroachment drive here in compliance with court orders.
Singh, who was dropped from the ministry in October 2012 following the charges of abduction and manhandling of Chief Medical Officer of Gonda, was re-inducted in the state cabinet last month as Minister of State for Secondary Education.
Accusing the district authorities of harassing the people, the minister yesterday opposed the anti-encroachment drive in the city yesterday.
The officials were trying to harass the people through the anti-encroachment drive, he told reporters last night.
Singh said that since he was the local MLA it was his duty to safeguard their interest and he was "even ready to be hanged for them".
Singh also warned the employees of Nagar Palika against taking part in the "wrong deeds" of the district officials or else they would be "punished".
Meanwhile, District Magistrate Roshan Jacob said that in compliance with the High Court order and instructions of the state government, a programme to remove illegal structures was being worked out for last two months in coordination with various government departments, peoples representatives and traders unions.
There is no discrimination in the drive, the DM said, adding it has received support from people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report