UP minister quits, supporters attack CMO office
Lucknow: Hours after Uttar Pradesh Minister for Revenue and Rehabilitation Vinod Kumar Singh quit on Friday in connection with the alleged abduction of Gonda chief medical officer SP Singh, his supporters attacked the office of the CMO.
Vinod Kumar Singh’s supporters pelted stones at the office of Gonda CMO, according to CNN-IBN.
The minister today decided to step down on moral grounds, while seeking a probe into the CMO`s role.
"I have sent my resignation to the Chief Minister as I am a devoted worker of SP. I will continue to provide my services to the people of the state and my constituency Gonda as an MLA," Singh said.
Asked as to why he was stepping down, Singh said, "I think some people are trying to malign the image of the party taking my name and I don`t want this to happen".
Asked about his involvement in the abduction of the CMO, Vinod Singh alias Pandit Singh maintained that he was innocent.
The minister’s resignation came a day after a red faced Akhilesh Yadav government ordered an investigation into the allegations of the CMO.
CMO SP Singh had on Wednesday lodged a verbal complaint with the district officials alleging that Vinod Kumar Singh intimidated him to "adjust" some favoured doctors in the contract list for the National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) scheme. But when he refused he was abducted by the minister`s henchmen.
Statements of the District Magistrate of Gonda, the chief development officer (CDO) and the chief medical officer would now be recorded.
As soon as SP Singh had lodged his complaint after giving the abductors a slip, the district police packed him off to Lucknow amidst heavy security.
Vinod Kumar Singh has three criminal cases against him. While initially nothing happened, media coverage forced the government to act, an official said.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav and his father, Samajwadi Party (SP) chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, who were in Mumbai to join in a birthday party of film star Amitabh Bachchan, telephonically asked Health Minister Ahmad Hasan to ascertain the facts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22