UP Minister Surendra Patel lands in controversy for slapping youth
Varanasi: In an embarrassment for the Akhilesh Yadav government, UP Minister Surendra Patel was caught on camera slapping a youth during a programme at his residence in the district.
Patel was caught on camera slapping a youth when attempts were being made to restore order during a blanket distribution programme at his Raja Talab residence yesterday.
However, the minister has denied that any such incident took place.
Patel claimed the youth seen in the video is his 24-year-old nephew, Rajit Patel, whom he "patted" while asking him to bring more blankets for distribution among the people who were present there.
Sources said Patel had personally organised the programme for distributing 10,000 blankets which drew huge crowds at his residence.
The Superintendent of Police (Traffic) OP Pandey along with cops from three police stations were present at the spot and mild force was also used to manage the crowd.
It was in the ensuing scuffle the minister was seen slapping a youth and one other in agitation.
The Minister told a news agency that no such programme was organised "but somehow a wrong message was sent and unprecedented crowd reached which also became unmanageable."
"As there was no programme organised and media not invited it is nothing but a conspiracy by my political opponents who managed a section of media to malign my image," he added.
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav had asked his ministers to restraint during interaction specially with the media.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal