UP Minister Surendra Patel lands in controversy for slapping youth
Varanasi: In an embarrassment for the Akhilesh Yadav government, UP Minister Surendra Patel was caught on camera slapping a youth during a programme at his residence in the district.
Patel was caught on camera slapping a youth when attempts were being made to restore order during a blanket distribution programme at his Raja Talab residence yesterday.
However, the minister has denied that any such incident took place.
Patel claimed the youth seen in the video is his 24-year-old nephew, Rajit Patel, whom he "patted" while asking him to bring more blankets for distribution among the people who were present there.
Sources said Patel had personally organised the programme for distributing 10,000 blankets which drew huge crowds at his residence.
The Superintendent of Police (Traffic) OP Pandey along with cops from three police stations were present at the spot and mild force was also used to manage the crowd.
It was in the ensuing scuffle the minister was seen slapping a youth and one other in agitation.
The Minister told a news agency that no such programme was organised "but somehow a wrong message was sent and unprecedented crowd reached which also became unmanageable."
"As there was no programme organised and media not invited it is nothing but a conspiracy by my political opponents who managed a section of media to malign my image," he added.
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav had asked his ministers to restraint during interaction specially with the media.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!