UP MLA Mukhtar Ansari remanded to 14-day custodial interrogation
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Saturday remanded
Uttar Pradesh`s independent MLA Mukhtar Ansari to 14 days’
police custody in a MCOCA case for allegedly running an
organized crime gang.
Ansari was on Saturday brought here following a production
warrant by local court here in connection with the case
registered under the stringent provisions of the law.
Additional Sessions Judge Madhu Jain remanded Ansari to
custodial interrogation of Delhi Police to enable the
investigators to unearth the whole conspiracy relating to
running of an alleged organised gang in the national capital.
During the arguments, counsel for Ansari, I U Khan and
S A Hashmi, contended there was no ground to invoke
Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act against the sitting
MLA as he has been in judicial custody in a different case in
Uttar Pradesh since August 2005.
They submitted that he had never visited Delhi since then
and there was no question of his being involved in any crime
whatsoever in the national capital.
"Unless two criminal cases are pending against an
accused, MCOCA cannot be invoked," they argued.
The counsels also claimed the Delhi Police has no
territorial jurisdiction to slap charges against Ansari under
Special Public Prosecutor B S Kain sought 14 days’
custodial interrogation alleging Ansari was involved in
running a crime syndicate along with inter-state gangster
Munna Bajrangi and two other accused.
"My brother has been falsely implicated in the case at
the instance of another UP-based gangster Brajesh Singh,"
Ansari`s elder brother Afzal Ansari, a former MP, told
reporters present outside the court.
Brijesh, who had remained elusive since 1989, was
arrested in January 2008 from Orissa`s Khurda district by a
joint team of Orissa and Delhi Police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Twist in BMC poll results as BJP emerges as `largest party`
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway