UP MLA Mukhtar Ansari remanded to 14-day custodial interrogation
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Saturday remanded
Uttar Pradesh`s independent MLA Mukhtar Ansari to 14 days’
police custody in a MCOCA case for allegedly running an
organized crime gang.
Ansari was on Saturday brought here following a production
warrant by local court here in connection with the case
registered under the stringent provisions of the law.
Additional Sessions Judge Madhu Jain remanded Ansari to
custodial interrogation of Delhi Police to enable the
investigators to unearth the whole conspiracy relating to
running of an alleged organised gang in the national capital.
During the arguments, counsel for Ansari, I U Khan and
S A Hashmi, contended there was no ground to invoke
Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act against the sitting
MLA as he has been in judicial custody in a different case in
Uttar Pradesh since August 2005.
They submitted that he had never visited Delhi since then
and there was no question of his being involved in any crime
whatsoever in the national capital.
"Unless two criminal cases are pending against an
accused, MCOCA cannot be invoked," they argued.
The counsels also claimed the Delhi Police has no
territorial jurisdiction to slap charges against Ansari under
Special Public Prosecutor B S Kain sought 14 days’
custodial interrogation alleging Ansari was involved in
running a crime syndicate along with inter-state gangster
Munna Bajrangi and two other accused.
"My brother has been falsely implicated in the case at
the instance of another UP-based gangster Brajesh Singh,"
Ansari`s elder brother Afzal Ansari, a former MP, told
reporters present outside the court.
Brijesh, who had remained elusive since 1989, was
arrested in January 2008 from Orissa`s Khurda district by a
joint team of Orissa and Delhi Police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?