UP MLA under EC scanner over `paid news` issue
New Delhi: After Maharashtra Chief
Minister Ashok Chavan, an MLA in Uttar Pradesh assembly has
come under the scanner of the Election Commission on the issue
of "paid news".
Umlesh Yadav, Rashtriya Parivartan Dal MLA from
Bisauli constituency in UP, was served a notice by the EC
following a complaint by one of her rivals that she resorted
to "paid news" in the 2007 assembly polls.
Her rival, Yogendra Kumar, had filed complaints against
two Hindi dailies Amar Ujala and Dainik Jagran alleging that
they had carried news items to favour Yadav in the form of an
advertisement taking some money in lieu thereof.
The Press Council which went into the complaint, held
the two newspapers "guilty of ethical violations" and
cautioned the media to refrain from publishing news
masquerading as advertisements and vice versa, the EC said in
its press note.
The decision of the Press Council was referred to the EC
to whose notices the two dailies admitted that the material of
the advertisements were not collected by the journalists but
were furnished by the advertisers "that is the candidate
The EC which went into Yadav`s poll expenses found that
they did not reflect the "true account of expnditure incurred
by the candidate" and the money spent on the advertisements
was "not accounted for".
Such a violation attracts disqualification for a period
of three years under the Representation of People Act, it
The Commission asked Yadav to give her reply within
seven days, it said.
The EC has already served a notice to the Mahrashtra
Chief Minister following a complaint by the BJP alleging that
he had resorted to paid news during the assembly polls last
year. The hearing in the case will come up before the poll
panel on July nine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport