UP mulling government jobs for `loyal` Samajwadi Party workers: Shivpal Yadav
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Public Works Department (PWD) Minister Shivpal Singh Yadav has yet again courted controversy by saying that the state`s Samajwadi Party (SP) government is considering giving government jobs to loyal party workers.
Lauding the contribution of the SP workers in bringing the party to power with an absolute majority, Yadav said here Wednesday that the government was seriously contemplating government jobs for them.
Shivpal Yadav, an uncle of Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, was speaking at a party central wing meeting at the Gandhi Bhavan auditorium here.
Yadav`s statement was in sync with the party`s stand on rewarding loyal party workers, SP`s city president Mujib-ur-Rahman said.
Reacting strongly to the statement, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) spokesman Vijay Bahadur Pathak Thursday said he found it not only strange but appalling that a minister of such seniority as Shivpal Yadav was making such "silly statements".
"I find this completely ridiculous. How can an elected state government, which is mandated to look after the needs of every section of the society speak of providing government jobs to party workers," he wondered.
The minister had earlier also courted controversy when he reportedly told officials at a meeting last year that it was fine for them to "steal a little" but they "should not loot".
"If you work, you can steal a little," he had told officials then.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened