UP mulling slapping stringent NSA on rape accused
Lucknow: Faced with public outrage at growing incidents of crime against women, the Uttar Pradesh government on Friday said it was considering slapping the National Security Act (NSA) on those attacking and assaulting women.
Principal Secretary (Home) RM Srivastava told reporters that action was also being taken against errant police officials for failing in their duties.
Referring to a case in Etawah where a girl was gangraped and then set ablaze, he said a magisterial probe had been ordered and officials have been directed to arrest the culprits as soon as possible.
In the Pratapgarh case where a rape victim`s tongue was cut to prevent her from testifying in the court against the accused, the government was exploring possibility of invoking NSA on the accused.
With regards to the murder of a four-year-old, allegedly after sexual assault in Lucknow a few days ago, a state government spokesman said the station officer concerned has been suspended and departmental action initiated against him.
The stringent NSA provides for preventive detention for reasons like maintaining security, public order and so on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams
- Complete list of award winners at IPL 2015