UP: Mystery shrouds couple`s death in police custody
Ghaziabad: Mystery shrouds the death of a couple in the Ghaziabad police custody Thursday, following which four policemen have been suspended from service, police said.
Rukkan Singh, 38, and Kanta, 32, who had eloped from Bulandshahr, were staying in a rented accommodation in Morta locality here.
According to police, the two were brought to Vardhman police post Thursday night following a complaint from Kanta`s husband, Ravi Kumar.
At the police post, both Kanta and Rukken Singh allegedly consumed poison and were rushed to the district hospital where they were pronounced dead.
Ravi Kumar had also lodged a complaint with Jahangirabad police station in Bulandshahr district about his missing wife.
Kanta`s sister, Laxmi, suspected the role of police and Ravi Kumar in the deaths of the couple. She alleged that the couple were administered poison.
Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Prashant Kumar said an inquiry has been ordered to be conducted by a magistrate.
Four policemen, including police post in-charge Sub-Inspector Vinod Upadhyay, have been suspended from service, he said.
The SSP also said police should have sought a non-bailable warrant before bringing the couple to the police post, besides ensuring the presence of a female constable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!