UP: Mystery shrouds couple`s death in police custody
Ghaziabad: Mystery shrouds the death of a couple in the Ghaziabad police custody Thursday, following which four policemen have been suspended from service, police said.
Rukkan Singh, 38, and Kanta, 32, who had eloped from Bulandshahr, were staying in a rented accommodation in Morta locality here.
According to police, the two were brought to Vardhman police post Thursday night following a complaint from Kanta`s husband, Ravi Kumar.
At the police post, both Kanta and Rukken Singh allegedly consumed poison and were rushed to the district hospital where they were pronounced dead.
Ravi Kumar had also lodged a complaint with Jahangirabad police station in Bulandshahr district about his missing wife.
Kanta`s sister, Laxmi, suspected the role of police and Ravi Kumar in the deaths of the couple. She alleged that the couple were administered poison.
Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Prashant Kumar said an inquiry has been ordered to be conducted by a magistrate.
Four policemen, including police post in-charge Sub-Inspector Vinod Upadhyay, have been suspended from service, he said.
The SSP also said police should have sought a non-bailable warrant before bringing the couple to the police post, besides ensuring the presence of a female constable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed