UP: NCW team visits Lakhimpur village
Lakhimpur: A team of National
Commission for Women on Thursday met the family members of a
14-year-old girl who was allegedly raped and killed inside the
police station premises here.
Later, the Commission`s chairperson Yasmeen Abrar told
reporters that the victim`s mother would not be lying and
prima facie it seems that the girl was first raped and later
The NCW team, including Abrar and legal advisor Mehmood
Parcha, also inspected the spot inside the police station
premises where the girl`s body was found.
Abrar assured the victim`s mother Tarannum that if
required the Commission would move the court to ensure justice
to the girl`s family, sources said.
She rejected Uttar Pradesh government`s allegation that
national commissions were working as the puppet of the Centre
and said "NCW is an autonomous body and is not working on
anyone`s remote control, not even of the Centre".
"Wherever atrocities are committed against women, NCW
will intervene. We are doing nothing wrong," she said.
Abrar said the Commission wants that governments
should work properly and control atrocities against women.
She said the security of an eyewitness and the victim`s
family was the responsibility of the state government.
During inspection of the spot, the NCW team got a
blood-stained cotton piece sealed and Abrar said that would be
sent to the laboratory for testing.
The visit by the NCW team came a day after Congress
leader Rahul Gandhi met the family members of the girl.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday