UP: Noida village bans tobacco sale, use
Noida: In a first of its kind, a village council in this Uttar Pradesh district Sunday decided to ban sale of tobacco products in the village and fine those caught consuming them. A similar ban on alcohol is also being mulled.
The panchayat in Sarfabad has asked the village residents to abstain from selling or use of tobacco. Initiated by the wrestlers of the village, the move is aimed at urging the state government to impose a blanket ban on the pattern of some other states.
to express support for the move.
"Anybody found selling tobacco or its products would have to shell out Rs 1,000 as fine. Whoever is found using tobacco will be fined of Rs 500. And we have decided to reward any person who informs us about anyone selling or using tobacco with Rs. 100. The fines will be realized by the panchayat itself," said Sukhbir Pehalwan, a wrestling coach..
The members of the panchayat would Monday hand over a memorandum to District Magistrate MKS Sundaram, addressed to the state government urging it to impose the ban at the earliest.
"We have thought to make Sarfabad as a model village in eradicating the use of tobacco in the state. We would soon begin awareness programme in the other villages too. If government does not do anything on it, we would turn this campaign into a movement," said Subodh Yadav, an international wrestler.
Though the panchayat has started the ban with tobacco, it shall soon include alcohol to prevent younger generations of the village from falling into wrong practices and worsening their health, panchayat members said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Do condom ads encourage rape?
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda