UP: Noida village bans tobacco sale, use
Noida: In a first of its kind, a village council in this Uttar Pradesh district Sunday decided to ban sale of tobacco products in the village and fine those caught consuming them. A similar ban on alcohol is also being mulled.
The panchayat in Sarfabad has asked the village residents to abstain from selling or use of tobacco. Initiated by the wrestlers of the village, the move is aimed at urging the state government to impose a blanket ban on the pattern of some other states.
to express support for the move.
"Anybody found selling tobacco or its products would have to shell out Rs 1,000 as fine. Whoever is found using tobacco will be fined of Rs 500. And we have decided to reward any person who informs us about anyone selling or using tobacco with Rs. 100. The fines will be realized by the panchayat itself," said Sukhbir Pehalwan, a wrestling coach..
The members of the panchayat would Monday hand over a memorandum to District Magistrate MKS Sundaram, addressed to the state government urging it to impose the ban at the earliest.
"We have thought to make Sarfabad as a model village in eradicating the use of tobacco in the state. We would soon begin awareness programme in the other villages too. If government does not do anything on it, we would turn this campaign into a movement," said Subodh Yadav, an international wrestler.
Though the panchayat has started the ban with tobacco, it shall soon include alcohol to prevent younger generations of the village from falling into wrong practices and worsening their health, panchayat members said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened