UP officials oppose Centre`s suggestion to shift killer tiger
New Delhi: Uttar Pradesh forest officials
have disfavoured the Centre`s suggestion to send a marauding
male tiger in Pilibhit to the natural forests of the state`s
Dudhwa Tiger reserve as it is fraught with risk.
Instead, they said, once the four-year-old male feline is
tranquilised and captured from Shahjahanpur area, 60km from
Pilibhit, it could be shifted to a nearby rehabilitation
Elephants, forest guards and tranquilising experts are on
the job round the clock to ensure that the tiger does not move
out of Shahjahanpur area and attack the villagers as it has
already killed eight persons since June.
The proposal to send the striped cat to the natural
habitat of Dudhwa park came from Rajesh Gopal,
member-secretary of National Tiger Conservation Authority
(NTCA), who had recently visited Sahajahapur area where the
tiger has been localised.
He was of the opinion that the big cat should not be sent
to a zoo or a rehabilitation centre but to the core of Dudhwa
tiger reserve to let it be in its natural habitat.
But the idea has not found favour with UP forest staff
who do not want to take any chance with a "man-killer" tiger.
"We are against taking the big cat back to the forests.
If let loose, it can again kill people. We have to first
assess the risk of sending it to Dudhwa," UP Chief Wildlife
Warden B K Patnaik said here.
Patnaik disfavours declaring the feline as a man-eater as
the victims were killed inside the forest. "The tiger has not
made efforts to kill the humans but did so only when it came
face to face with them. We have advised the villagers not to
venture out at night or when alone."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- If Bihar marches forward, then nation will also progress: PM Modi
- Watch: CCTV footage of open firing on a liquor shop in Jabalpur
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!