UP oppn for reconvening of Assembly session
Lucknow: The opposition on Monday demanded
reconvening of the Uttar Pradesh Assembly session and
described as "murder of democracy" the resolution adopted
hurriedly by the House to split the state.
Hours after the House adopted the resolution by a voice
vote, delegations of SP and BJP leaders met Governor B L Joshi
separately and submitted memoranda demanding that the
proceedings be cancelled and the session be called again.
In its memorandum, SP alleged that passage of a resolution
to divide state into four parts in 11 minutes without debate
and sine die adjournment of the House was "most shameful".
Claiming that the government was in minority, the SP said
it had already raised suspicion that the government would not
accept voting on the resolution and would get the House
adjourned to escape any no-confidence motion.
Leader of the Opposition Shivpal Sigh Yadav demanded that
the House be conducted under the supervision of the Governor
or an observer appointed by him.
In a similar vein, leader of BJP Legislature Party Om
Prakash Singh said all resolutions should be adopted only
after a structured debate and voting.
Singh said the manner in which the government got an
important proposal passed in minutes to escape a no-confidence
notice given by the BJP and SP proved that it is in minority.
He said the resolution regarding division of the state was
neither on the agenda nor its copies were circulated among
"The intention was not good and it only aims at fooling
the people. The proposal was brought in the House only with
political interest," Singh alleged.
He said BJP was in favour of smaller states, but dividing
a state in four parts was a serious issue and the State
Reorganisation Commission should study it in detail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi