UP oppn for reconvening of Assembly session
Lucknow: The opposition on Monday demanded
reconvening of the Uttar Pradesh Assembly session and
described as "murder of democracy" the resolution adopted
hurriedly by the House to split the state.
Hours after the House adopted the resolution by a voice
vote, delegations of SP and BJP leaders met Governor B L Joshi
separately and submitted memoranda demanding that the
proceedings be cancelled and the session be called again.
In its memorandum, SP alleged that passage of a resolution
to divide state into four parts in 11 minutes without debate
and sine die adjournment of the House was "most shameful".
Claiming that the government was in minority, the SP said
it had already raised suspicion that the government would not
accept voting on the resolution and would get the House
adjourned to escape any no-confidence motion.
Leader of the Opposition Shivpal Sigh Yadav demanded that
the House be conducted under the supervision of the Governor
or an observer appointed by him.
In a similar vein, leader of BJP Legislature Party Om
Prakash Singh said all resolutions should be adopted only
after a structured debate and voting.
Singh said the manner in which the government got an
important proposal passed in minutes to escape a no-confidence
notice given by the BJP and SP proved that it is in minority.
He said the resolution regarding division of the state was
neither on the agenda nor its copies were circulated among
"The intention was not good and it only aims at fooling
the people. The proposal was brought in the House only with
political interest," Singh alleged.
He said BJP was in favour of smaller states, but dividing
a state in four parts was a serious issue and the State
Reorganisation Commission should study it in detail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of IS video proving the authenticity of Batla House encounter
- DNA: Analysis of how adulterated food is putting people's lives at risk
- DNA: How Potassium Bromate and Potassium Iodate in breads can cause cancer
- Ministry instilled confidence among minorities: Najma Heptulla
- Two-third people happy with Modi government: Survey
- CBI raids Visva Bharati varsity, officers' residences
- Substantial decline in riots and communal incidents: Naqvi
- Meghalaya Board SSLC Results 2016: megresults.nic.in, www.mbose.in; Tura Result 2016, MBOSE Class 10 Examination Result 2016 to be declared today at 10 am