UP orders inquiry into Durga Shakti case
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government on Thursday ordered an inquiry into the case of suspended IAS officer Durga Shakti Nagpal, a day after she filed her reply to the chargesheet served on her.
The government has asked Principal Secretary (Home), RM Srivastava, to conduct an inquiry into all aspects of the case.
"I have been verbally asked to conduct an inquiry into the case, though I am still awaiting formal orders in this regard," Srivastava told a news agency.
Srivastava would visit Gautam Budh Nagar and go into all the aspects of the matter, and is likely to submit his reply at the earliest.
Formal orders in this regard have to be issued by the state`s appointment department.
The government decided to appoint an inquiry officer in the case after the reply filed by Nagpal "did not match government records, particularly pertaining to the ownership of the land" on which the under-construction mosque, which was demolished on her orders, had existed in Kadalpur village on July 27, sources in the government said.
According to the reply submitted by Nagpal, the land belonged to `gram sabha`, but government records say otherwise.
Sources said that while Nagpal claimed that she acted under the instructions of a senior officer, a government report suggested that she went on her own.
Though speculations are rife that Nagpal`s suspension may be revoked soon following her reported meeting with Samajwadi Party president Mulayam Singh Yadav to explain her point of view on the demolition of the structure. Sources said that the inquiry by Srivastava could be a step towards reinstating the officer.
The UP government also transferred District Magistrate of Gautam Buddha Nagar, Ravi Kant Singh, and placed him on the waitlist ostensibly for ensuring a free and fair inquiry, sources said.
Nagpal is presently attached to the board of revenue in Lucknow after the government placed her under suspension.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!