UP Panchayat bans love marriage, bars women below 40 from shopping
Lucknow: A village panchayat in Bagpat district of Uttar Pradesh has banned love marriage, barred women below 40 years of age from going out for shopping and girls from using mobile phones on the streets.
The panchayat at Asara village in Ramala area has issued the diktats restraining women below 40 from going to markets and using mobile in the village or outside, official sources said today.
The panchayat also ruled that when women leave their homes, their heads must be covered.
The diktats were issued during a meeting of the panchayat held yesterday.
The panchayat also banned love marriages and said those doing so would not be allowed to live in the village, the sources said.
Superintendent of Police Baghpat V K Shekhar said they have come to know about such diktats by the panchayat and ordered an inquiry by the district intelligence unit into the matter.
He said no arrest has been made in connection with the panchayat`s directives and any action would be taken after getting the report of the intelligence unit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'