UP passes bill for speedy disposal of rape cases
Lucknow: For speedy disposal of rape cases
and stringent provision of bail for the accused, the Uttar
Pradesh Assembly on Wednesday passed a bill amending the Code of
In the Code of Criminal Procedure (Uttar Pradesh
Second Amendment) Bill a few sections and sub-sections related
to trial and bail provisions in such cases have been
Section 235-A of the bill, passed by the Assembly,
provides a judge to conclude the trial of offences under
section 376 of the IPC as far as possible within a period of
Under Section 437, (clause 1-1a), a person should not be
released if there appears a reasonable ground for believing
that he is guilty of an offence of rape, punishable with
This imprisonment shall not be less than seven years but
can extend to a life term or for more than 10 years, and
shall also be liable to fine.
Section 439-A provides that a person arrested on charges
of rape can be provided bail by a court only on two grounds.
First, the court including the High Court and Sessions
Court, for the reasons to be recorded in writing, is satisfied
that there are reasonable grounds for believing that such
person is not guilty.
Second, such person is under the age of 16 or a sick
The House also passed UP Tree Conservation (Amendment)
Bill, Shri Ramswaroop Memorial University Bill and Shobhit
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre