UP Police chief, home secretary to review law and
Lucknow: Rattled by the opposition attack for failing law and order in Uttar Pradesh, Director General of Police (DGP) AC Sharma and Principal Home Secretary RM Srivastava would begin touring the state Saturday, officials said here Friday.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has asked the two high-ranking officials to review the law and order situation across the state and report back to him, according to the officials.
Beginning their review from the Varanasi division, the two officials would be visiting all the divisions of the state and would issue on-the-spot instructions to officials in the field, asking them to curb crime while also informing them of the priorities of the government.
DGP Sharma said the government has asked the police force to lay special emphasis on safety and security of senior citizens, weaker sections, minorities and women.
Curbing crimes like illegal mining, liquor smuggling, eve-teasing, communal disturbances, celebratory firing, extortion and kidnapping would form the core of the policy adopted by the state police, officials told IANS.
Citing rise in crime rate across the state in recent weeks, opposition parties tore into the ruling Samajwadi Party (SP) during the ongoing budget session of the state assembly, accusing the party of promoting "jungle raj" in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi