UP Police chief, home secretary to review law and
Lucknow: Rattled by the opposition attack for failing law and order in Uttar Pradesh, Director General of Police (DGP) AC Sharma and Principal Home Secretary RM Srivastava would begin touring the state Saturday, officials said here Friday.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has asked the two high-ranking officials to review the law and order situation across the state and report back to him, according to the officials.
Beginning their review from the Varanasi division, the two officials would be visiting all the divisions of the state and would issue on-the-spot instructions to officials in the field, asking them to curb crime while also informing them of the priorities of the government.
DGP Sharma said the government has asked the police force to lay special emphasis on safety and security of senior citizens, weaker sections, minorities and women.
Curbing crimes like illegal mining, liquor smuggling, eve-teasing, communal disturbances, celebratory firing, extortion and kidnapping would form the core of the policy adopted by the state police, officials told IANS.
Citing rise in crime rate across the state in recent weeks, opposition parties tore into the ruling Samajwadi Party (SP) during the ongoing budget session of the state assembly, accusing the party of promoting "jungle raj" in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das