UP Police chief, home secretary to review law and
Lucknow: Rattled by the opposition attack for failing law and order in Uttar Pradesh, Director General of Police (DGP) AC Sharma and Principal Home Secretary RM Srivastava would begin touring the state Saturday, officials said here Friday.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has asked the two high-ranking officials to review the law and order situation across the state and report back to him, according to the officials.
Beginning their review from the Varanasi division, the two officials would be visiting all the divisions of the state and would issue on-the-spot instructions to officials in the field, asking them to curb crime while also informing them of the priorities of the government.
DGP Sharma said the government has asked the police force to lay special emphasis on safety and security of senior citizens, weaker sections, minorities and women.
Curbing crimes like illegal mining, liquor smuggling, eve-teasing, communal disturbances, celebratory firing, extortion and kidnapping would form the core of the policy adopted by the state police, officials told IANS.
Citing rise in crime rate across the state in recent weeks, opposition parties tore into the ruling Samajwadi Party (SP) during the ongoing budget session of the state assembly, accusing the party of promoting "jungle raj" in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!