UP police officer arrested for BSP leader`s murder
Lucknow: An inspector of Uttar Pradesh Police was arrested on Friday night for his alleged role in the murder of a BSP leader.
Inspector Vijay Singh was arrested after the family of former BSP legislator Sarvesh Singh, who was shot dead on July 19 in Azamgarh, accused him of conspiring with criminals to kill the leader.
Acting on a complaint lodged by Santosh Singh, elder brother of the late leader, top police brass ordered the arrest of Vijay Singh. The family of the slain leader has named eight other people in the first information report (FIR).
Violence and arson had erupted in Azamgarh, 270 km from state capital Lucknow, after Sarvesh Singh`s murder. In the subsequent police firing, two people were killed and over three dozen injured.
Three men on a motorcycle fired at Sarvesh Singh and his guard Bharat Rai a few metres away from a police station. His supporters had accused a police inspector of summoning him to the police station.
Sarvesh Singh had contested the 2007 State Assembly polls on a Samajwadi Party (SP) ticket. He later joined the BSP and unsuccessfully contested the Assembly polls last year from Sadar seat. He lost to SP`s Durga Prasad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days