UP police officer questioned for filing suit
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government on Thursday issued a show cause notice to Deputy Inspector General of Police Jasveer Singh for filing a petition against Enforcement Director Arun Mathur, levelling allegations against him.
Taking serious note of the fact that the 1992 batch Indian Police Service (IPS) officer had gone ahead with the public interest litigation (PIL) without obtaining mandatory permission of the government, the uion home ministry directed the state government to initiate disciplinary proceedings against Jasveer Singh, following which the show-cause notice was issued.
The PIL sought the removal of Mathur from the high-profile position on the ground that he was facing departmental inquiries.
Jasveer Singh filed the PIL in collaboration with Vijay Shankar Pandey, a 1979 batch Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer, and Indian Institute of Technology-Delhi professor S.K. Dube, in their capacity as members of India Rejuvenation Initiative (IRI), a voluntary group formed by retired and serving bureaucrats and others.
Pandey, who was stated to be the mastermind behind the PIL, is believed to have initiated the move only after his name surfaced in the Hasan Ali Khan`s alleged money laundering case, being investigated by the Enforcement Directorate.
The show cause notice, issued by Uttar Pradesh Home Secretary Dipak Kumar pointedly charged Jasveer Singh with violating the service conduct rules.
The notice also sought an explanation from Jasveer Singh for concealing the fact at the time of filing the petition that he was an IPS officer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy