UP polls phase-II: 118 have criminal background
Lucknow: As many as 109 candidates contesting
the second phase of Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections have
criminal cases pending against them, according to a monitoring
Of the total 337 candidates in fray for the second phase
of elections slated for February 11, Uttar Pradesh Election
Watch (UPEW) found that 118 (35 per cent) have criminal cases,
including murder, attempt to murder, kidnapping, robbery and
extortion, pending against them.
Quami Ekta Dal nominee Mukhtar Ansari, who is contesting
from Mau and Ghosi constituency, has the maximum 15 criminal
cases registered against him.
SP`s Upendra, contesting from Phephana seat, have 11
criminal cases pending against him, while BSP`s Javed Iqbal,
contesting from Kushinagar seat, have five cases registered
SP tops the chart with 30 candidates having criminal
record, followed by BSP (23), BJP (20), Congress (19), Peace
Party (8) and JD(U) (12).
Of the 337 candidates, 138 are crorepatis, the UPEW said.
The average assets of 34 MLAs seeking re-election is Rs
2.74 crore and their average percentage growth in assets is
187 per cent.
The candidates with maximum assets is BSP`s Shah Alam
(Mubarakpur) having assets worth Rs 54.44 crore, followed by
Subhash of SP from Saidpur with Rs 35.32 crore and Narendra
Mani Tripathi of Congress from Gorakhpur (urban) with assets
worth Rs 27.88 crore.
Sarvesh Kumar Singh of BSP from Azamgarh has the highest
increase in asset worth Rs 8.81 crore, followed by Pramod of
BSP from Deoria with an asset increase of Rs 4.51 crore and
Rajkumar of BSP from Ghazipur constituency with an asset
increase of Rs 4.38 crore.
Uma Shanker of BSP has the highest annual income at Rs
5.54 crore followed by Shah Alam of BSP at Rs 1.03 crore and
Jetendra of BSP at Rs 1.02 crore.
A total of 166 candidates (49 per cent) of the 337
candidates have declared that they have never filed income tax
Of the 1,098 candidates contesting for the second phase,
only 76 candidates are women. BSP has fielded two women
candidates, followed by BSP (2), BJP (6), Congress (8) and SP
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!