UP polls: RLD eyes Muslim votes; 8% quota in jobs
New Delhi: Rashtriya Lok Dal, which recently became part of UPA, on Monday joined the race to woo Muslims promising eight per cent reservation to them in government jobs if voted to power in Uttar Pradesh.
RLD chief and Union Minister Ajit Singh said Muslims
accounted for 17-18 per cent of the state`s population and
according to Mandal Commission recommendations almost half of
the backward and minority population should get reservation in
"The Union government has announced the proposal for 4.5
per cent reservation for backward Muslims in central
government jobs... I believe Muslims in UP should get around
eight per cent reservation," he said.
"Almost 70 per cent Muslims in UP fall into the category
of backward groups. We are waiting for caste-based census to
decide the actual numbers. But established formula as per
Mandal Commission is to give reservation to half of the
backward population, which for UP should be around eight per
cent," Singh said.
He was interacting with reporters on the sidelines of
former BSP MLA Hazi Yakub Quraishi joining RLD.
A former Minister in Mayawati`s government, Quraishi
joined RLD along with his supporters.
In 2006, when he was a minister in Mulayam Singh
governmemnt, Quraishi had announced a Rs 51 crore reward on
the head of a Danish cartoonist who had allegedly made a
caricature of prophet Mohammad.
Asked whether the alliance is only to woo Muslims and
minorities, Singh said, "This development will help us
overthrow Mayawati`s rule in the state. We are eyeing all
sections of society to overthrow the present government and
minorities are an important segment."
Terming the BSP rule in UP as the most corrupt government
in the country, Singh said, "If Anna Hazare is looking forward
to organizing anti-corruption campaigns, he should come to UP.
He should focus his attention on Mayawati government."
He declined to comment on the number of seats his party
will contest in the state.
"We will decided on these things in future," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician