UP power tariff hike: Opposition parties threaten stir
Lucknow: Opposition parties on Thursday targeted the Uttar Pradesh government in unison over hike in power tariff as protests were witnessed across the state.
Both Congress and Ajit Singh-led Rashtriya Lok Dal threatened to launch state-wide agitation against the government`s move.
"Government should roll back the hike and provide relief to the people," Congress spokesman Amarnath Agarwal said in a statement issued here.
He alleged that instead of resolving power crisis, which has become a burning issue, the government was concentrating on tariff hike which was "unfortunate".
"When the government has failed to provide power, hiking tariff in not logical," he said.
Agarwal said that in public interest the party has decided to launch a state-wide agitation between June 8 to June 11 against the hike.
RLD staged demonstration in several cities, demanding Governor`s intervention in rolling back tariff hike.
Demonstration and `dharna` were held at all district headquarters and memorandums addressed to the Governor were submitted through the district magistrate, RLD spokesman K K Tripathi said.
Addressing a gathering here, RLD state president Munna Singh said tariff of rural, urban and private tube wells has been hiked by 40 per cent, 45 per cent and 35 per cent respectively.
He alleged that the government has failed to ensure 24 hours power supply to 1.3 crore consumers and in rural areas only six to seven hours electricity was being supplied.
"If the government does not roll back tariff hike, the party will launch a state-wide agitation in a phased manner," he said.
Power tariff in the state has been hiked by around 40 per cent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you