UP riots: Absconding BSP MLA arrested, sent to jail
Muzaffarnagar: After evading police for over a month, BSP MLA Maulna Jameel was today arrested on the outskirts of the city for his alleged involvement in Muzaffarnagar riots.
The legislator, against whom non-bailable warrant was issued over a month ago, was produced before Chief Judicial Magistrate in the evening which remanded him in 14-day judicial custody.
Jameel, an MLA from Meerapur constituency of Muzaffarnagar, is among several politicians booked for inciting communal violence in the district last month.
He is also the third BSP leader to be booked in the case after his party MLA Noor Salim and MP Qadir Rana.
A court in Muzaffarnagar had on September 18 issued non-bailable arrest warrants against 16 politicians and community leaders including BJP MLAs Sangit Som and Bhartendu Singh, BSP MP Rana, BSP MLAs Saleem and Jameel, Congress leader Saeeduzaman and BKU chief Naresh Tikait.
At least 49 people were killed in the violence and thousands were displaced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details