UP riots: Absconding BSP MLA arrested, sent to jail
Muzaffarnagar: After evading police for over a month, BSP MLA Maulna Jameel was today arrested on the outskirts of the city for his alleged involvement in Muzaffarnagar riots.
The legislator, against whom non-bailable warrant was issued over a month ago, was produced before Chief Judicial Magistrate in the evening which remanded him in 14-day judicial custody.
Jameel, an MLA from Meerapur constituency of Muzaffarnagar, is among several politicians booked for inciting communal violence in the district last month.
He is also the third BSP leader to be booked in the case after his party MLA Noor Salim and MP Qadir Rana.
A court in Muzaffarnagar had on September 18 issued non-bailable arrest warrants against 16 politicians and community leaders including BJP MLAs Sangit Som and Bhartendu Singh, BSP MP Rana, BSP MLAs Saleem and Jameel, Congress leader Saeeduzaman and BKU chief Naresh Tikait.
At least 49 people were killed in the violence and thousands were displaced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter