UP riots: BJP MLAs Som, Rana get relief from Advisory Board
Muzaffarnagar: Uttar Pradesh Advisory Board on Thursday revoked the detention under NSA of two BJP MLAs, Sangeet Som and Suresh Rana, who were arrested in connection with the recent communal violence in the district.
District Magistrate Kaushal Raj Sharma said that the action against the two MLAs under the provisions of National Security Act was not confirmed by the Advisory Board in Lucknow.
Som, accused of having uploaded a video which reportedly sparked communal tension in the area, had been arrested in Meerut on September 21. He is also facing allegations of having made inflammatory speeches.
Rana was arrested from Lucknow on Sept. 20 for his alleged role in stoking the violence which left 62 people dead and rendered 40,000 homeless.
The duo, however, remain in custody in connection with other charges related to the violence.
Three people were killed earlier this week when fresh clashes erupted in the Budhana area of the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick