UP riots: BJP MLAs Som, Rana get relief from Advisory Board
Muzaffarnagar: Uttar Pradesh Advisory Board on Thursday revoked the detention under NSA of two BJP MLAs, Sangeet Som and Suresh Rana, who were arrested in connection with the recent communal violence in the district.
District Magistrate Kaushal Raj Sharma said that the action against the two MLAs under the provisions of National Security Act was not confirmed by the Advisory Board in Lucknow.
Som, accused of having uploaded a video which reportedly sparked communal tension in the area, had been arrested in Meerut on September 21. He is also facing allegations of having made inflammatory speeches.
Rana was arrested from Lucknow on Sept. 20 for his alleged role in stoking the violence which left 62 people dead and rendered 40,000 homeless.
The duo, however, remain in custody in connection with other charges related to the violence.
Three people were killed earlier this week when fresh clashes erupted in the Budhana area of the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- Indian cricketers are getting married in Twenty20 mode
- SDM report holds Ryan school guilty of Divyansh's death