UP seeks Rs 30 crores to install CCTVs in buses
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh has sought Rs 30 crore from the central government to install CCTV cameras in its 9,600 buses.
The state has sought money from the Nirbhaya fund, created in memory of the Delhi woman who was gang-raped in a bus two years back.
In a letter to the Union Transport Ministry, the state government has said that incidents of crimes related to women needed to be contained in public transport. It proposed to install CCTVs alongwith digital video recording systems (DVRs) in its fleet of 9,600 buses running on state roads.
Officials say in case of an emergency such as molestation, the buses would be equipped with systems in which at the touch of a button, an alarm would be set-off in the transport head quarters and immediate action taken.
The state transport corporation also proposes to link this camera to the women`s powerline 1090, already functional in the state.
Mukesh Mesharm, the managing director of the UP State Road Transport Corporation (UPSRTC), confirmed the proposal to the central government and said all buses of the state have been connected to a GPS tracking system.
He said they are awaiting sanction of the funds by the Union Transport Ministry after which the CCTVs would be installed.
Sources in the Union Transport Ministry told a news agency from New Delhi that they were in receipt of the proposal and it has been sent to the approval and selection committee and a decision would soon be taken based on a detailed project report which has been sought from the state government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand