UP seeks SC permission for beautification of Taj Mahal
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday issued a notice to the Centre and Archaeological Survey of India seeking their responses to Uttar Pradesh government`s plea for its permission for beautification of areas near the Taj Mahal.
A bench headed by Chief Justice Altamas Kabir also sought a response from Central Pollution Control Board on the state government`s plea.
Two applications were filed by the state government seeking permission from the apex court to develop Taj Nature Walk and Taj Heritage Corridor Area(Mumtaj Eco Park) near the white marble mausoleum located.
Taj Mahal, built by Mughal emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his wife Mumtaz, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Earlier, the Mayawati government had also planned beautification of areas near the Taj through Taj Corridor Project but it was mired in corruption charges and a CBI inquiry was directed into it by the apex court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price