UP shivers as icy winds blow across state
Lucknow: Many parts of Uttar Pradesh woke up to a chilly weekend Saturday as icy winds swept across the state.
According to the Met office, the recent rainfall and snowfall in the Kashmir Valley and showers in parts of western Uttar Pradesh have triggered the onset of winters.
The mercury is set to plummet further in the coming week.
"November was unusually cold in Lucknow and neighbouring areas and now that December has started, be prepared for a long spell of cold," a Met official told a news agency.
The temperature, both during the day and night, are likely to continue to fall in the next three-four days, the weatherman said.
While the days would be sunny, icy winds would continue to blow leading to a further drop in temperature.
The winds are said to be result of a western disturbance which has caused snowfall in the mountains and rain in the plains, the official said. There is mist in the mornings and fog at night.
Lucknow recorded a maximum temperature of 25 degrees Celsius - three degrees above normal and a minimum temperature of 11 degrees Celsius, about one degree below normal.
The day temperatures in the coming week across Uttar Pradesh is likely to touch 7-8 degrees Celsius, according to weather officials.
The humidity is pegged at 88 percent, which will add to the morning mist and the evening fog.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...