UP STF interrogates ex-Chhota Rajan aide Pandey
Mumbai: A team of Uttar Pradesh Police`s Special Task Force (STF) interrogated Prakash alias Bunty Pandey, a former sharp shooter of the Chhota Rajan gang who was brought to India from Vietnam last week.
The STF team arrived here last night and questioned
the dreaded gangster for a couple of hours to know his links
in several crimes in UP and about his gang members, a Mumbai Crime Branch official said today requesting anonymity.
According to police, Pandey, who had been hiding in a
number of countries to evade arrest in several criminal cases,
was arrested here in a 2009 extortion case after being brought
from Vietnam on November 4.
Pandey, who parted ways with Rajan over a decade ago
to set up his own gang, was caught in Hanoi on November 3 by Interpol and flown to Delhi from where he was brought here.
The UP police suspect his gang members may have played
a role in several extortion calls received by businessmen and
builders in the northern state. Pandey is also believed to
have had links with dreaded criminals in UP.
Hailing from Uttarakhand, the 40-year-old, when he was
in India, had once given advertisements in newspapers inviting
applications from young men seeking a career in Bollywood.
He then called nearly a dozen youths for interviews and took them to Pune from where he made ransom calls to their families. Following police`s intervention, Pandey freed the hostages and escaped, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family