UP students to get free laptops, computer tablets
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government has decided to give free laptops and computer tablets to students in the state who pass the high school and intermediate examinations in 2012.
The beneficiaries would include students passing high school and intermediate examination conducted by UP Secondary Education Board, Poorva Madhyama and Madhyama of Sanskrit Education Board, Munshi/Maulvi and Alim of Madrasa Board, as per the decision taken by the state cabinet yesterday.
CBSE, ICSE and ISC, besides students of recognised ITI and polytechnics where minimum eligibility for admission is high school or equivalent, are also eligible for the benefit.
Ruling Samajwadi Party had promised in its election manifesto to give free tablets and laptops to students passing high school and intermediate examination from different boards.
The government has also decided to increase tax on tobacco and tobacco products while bringing them under non-VAT goods category. Tax rate on pan masala, cigarette and cigar would be increased from 12.5 per cent to 50 per cent.
The government has also decided to amend the Arogya Nidhi scheme and increase the financial assistance for medical treatment from Rs 35,000 to Rs 1.5 lakh.
The cabinet decided to increase the age for superannuation of employees of seed certification corporation from 58 years to 60 years.
Amending the UP Motor Vehicles Act, the government has permitted the use of voter identity card, pension passbook, arms license and identity card as address and age proof for attaining driving licenses and registration of vehicles.
The government has decided to set up UP Social Audit Organisation to ensure accountability in works done under MNREGA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery