UP students to get free laptops, computer tablets
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government has decided to give free laptops and computer tablets to students in the state who pass the high school and intermediate examinations in 2012.
The beneficiaries would include students passing high school and intermediate examination conducted by UP Secondary Education Board, Poorva Madhyama and Madhyama of Sanskrit Education Board, Munshi/Maulvi and Alim of Madrasa Board, as per the decision taken by the state cabinet yesterday.
CBSE, ICSE and ISC, besides students of recognised ITI and polytechnics where minimum eligibility for admission is high school or equivalent, are also eligible for the benefit.
Ruling Samajwadi Party had promised in its election manifesto to give free tablets and laptops to students passing high school and intermediate examination from different boards.
The government has also decided to increase tax on tobacco and tobacco products while bringing them under non-VAT goods category. Tax rate on pan masala, cigarette and cigar would be increased from 12.5 per cent to 50 per cent.
The government has also decided to amend the Arogya Nidhi scheme and increase the financial assistance for medical treatment from Rs 35,000 to Rs 1.5 lakh.
The cabinet decided to increase the age for superannuation of employees of seed certification corporation from 58 years to 60 years.
Amending the UP Motor Vehicles Act, the government has permitted the use of voter identity card, pension passbook, arms license and identity card as address and age proof for attaining driving licenses and registration of vehicles.
The government has decided to set up UP Social Audit Organisation to ensure accountability in works done under MNREGA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral