UP students to get free laptops, computer tablets
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government has decided to give free laptops and computer tablets to students in the state who pass the high school and intermediate examinations in 2012.
The beneficiaries would include students passing high school and intermediate examination conducted by UP Secondary Education Board, Poorva Madhyama and Madhyama of Sanskrit Education Board, Munshi/Maulvi and Alim of Madrasa Board, as per the decision taken by the state cabinet yesterday.
CBSE, ICSE and ISC, besides students of recognised ITI and polytechnics where minimum eligibility for admission is high school or equivalent, are also eligible for the benefit.
Ruling Samajwadi Party had promised in its election manifesto to give free tablets and laptops to students passing high school and intermediate examination from different boards.
The government has also decided to increase tax on tobacco and tobacco products while bringing them under non-VAT goods category. Tax rate on pan masala, cigarette and cigar would be increased from 12.5 per cent to 50 per cent.
The government has also decided to amend the Arogya Nidhi scheme and increase the financial assistance for medical treatment from Rs 35,000 to Rs 1.5 lakh.
The cabinet decided to increase the age for superannuation of employees of seed certification corporation from 58 years to 60 years.
Amending the UP Motor Vehicles Act, the government has permitted the use of voter identity card, pension passbook, arms license and identity card as address and age proof for attaining driving licenses and registration of vehicles.
The government has decided to set up UP Social Audit Organisation to ensure accountability in works done under MNREGA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands