UP teen case: Mayawati open to CBI probe
Lucknow: Facing opposition flak, UP Chief Minister Mayawati Wednesday said her government has no objection
to a CBI inquiry into the Lakhimpur teenaged girl`s murder
case if the victim`s family wanted it.
However, she said her government has been apprehensive
as the CBI had "messed up" the Aarushi Talwar murder case in
"If the family of the victim wants a CBI or any other
inquiry my government has no objection to it. The only fear is
that in case of CBI inquiry the probe may get messed up like
in the Aarushi murder case," she said.
Condemning the incident in which a 14-year-old girl
was allegedly raped and murdered inside a police station, the
chief minister said she wanted to assure the family of the
victim that sternest action would be taken against the guilty.
"Whenever any inhuman incident occurs against women,
opposition should rise above party politics and help catch the
culprits. They should not indulge in dirty politics," she
In a related development, the state government has
suspended the then SP of Lakhimpur D K Rai, who had stated
after the first post mortem on the teenager that she had
committed suicide and was not murdered. The second post-mortem
has concluded that the girl was killed but not raped. The girl
was found hanging in the premises of Nighasan police station
in the district on Friday.
Accusing the Centre of indirectly politicising the
government commissions, she said, "Other than UP, atrocities
are taking place against Dalits across the country, but no
where does the Centre sends its commissions."
While atrocities against women and other crimes were
taking place in Delhi, the commissions were not being to carry
out inquiries, she said.
"Despite the fact that all the commissions have their
headquarters in Delhi, they are being sent to inquire into
cases of atrocities against women and other crimes by the
Centre, because it has its own government," Mayawati alleged.
Coming down heavily on the previous state governments,
Mayawati alleged, "Opposition parties during their rule
produced professional mafias and criminals in large numbers
for political gains....we have inherited this evil".
On the issue of Lokpal Bill, the Chief Minister
suggested that members of the civil society should create
awareness among people if they want the bill to incorporate
certain proposals suggested by them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India