UP to give pension to Muzaffarnagar riot victims
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government has decided to give "special pension" to people affected in the violence in Muzaffarnagar.
A total of 48 people were killed and more than 43,000 displaced in communal clashes that erupted on September 07 and lasted for three days.
Official sources told a news agency that a list of riot-affected people is currently being prepared.
A proposal to give jobs based on educational qualification is also being considered.
"The pension, which would be anywhere between Rs 400 and Rs 500, would be given under the Rani Laxmi Bai Pension Scheme," an official said.
This pension would be given to families of the dead and to those injured.
Ground work for the rehabilitation package was done at a meeting between district officials and Chief Secretary Jawed Usmani on Tuesday. Muzaffarnagar officials have been given a deadline of one week to complete the desired work.
The divisional commissioner of Saharanpur has been assigned the task of working out the nitty-gritty of the scheme.
The state government has also asked officials to expedite work on the disbursement of financial compensation to the riot victims.
"Funds have already reached the district authorities and more than Rs 3.5 crore has been distributed. We just need to step up the pace," an official said.
The state government has announced Rs 10 lakh ex gratia for the kin of those killed in the communal clashes.
Special focus was being given on providing medical aid to those injured, an official said.
The situation in Muzaffarnagar and nearby areas was normal on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM