UP to set up central women`s univ in Rae Bareli
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government has identified land for setting up a central women`s university in Rae Bareli, parliamentary constituency of Congress president Sonia Gandhi.
State Special Secretary of Higher Education, Anita Mishra, said that Union HRD Ministry has sought consent from the state government to provide 500-acre land near the city in Rae Bareli.
She said that Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on January 14 had informed the higher education department of the union ministry about in principle consent of the state.
The land has been identified in Lalganj tehsil of the district, she said.
During her visit in July last year, the UPA chairperson had said that Rae Bareli being the `karmbhoomi` of late Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, it was her wish that a girls degree college be built in her memory.
"It was my wish that a women`s degree college should be constructed in the name of Indira Gandhi as Rae Bareli was her karmbhoomi. This is so that daughters here can get higher education," she had said.
Sonia had said that Ministry of Human Resource Development had taken an initiative to set up a degree college.
"State government has also shown positive stand in giving land. As soon as land is provided, necessary steps would be taken immediately and the college will be named after Indira Gandhi," she had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried