UP train mishap: Death toll rises to 70
Kanpur/Fatehpur: Two more victims of
Sunday`s derailment of the Delhi-bound Kalka Mail in Malwan
succumbed to their injuries today raising the toll to 70.
Vyas Muni Tiwari (40), who received serious head injuries
in the mishap, and Parmeshwar Jaiswal (40), a resident of
Howrah, died on Tuesday in private nursing homes in Kanpur,
Additional District Magistrate (City) Shailendra Kumar Singh
Tiwari was initially admitted in a hospital by the
authorities but his family members later shifted him to the
nursing home, Singh said.
Tiwari, deputy jailer at Fatehpur district jail, was on
his way to Aligarh, where he had been transferred, when
the accident took place.
The derailment took place on Sunday afternoon when the
packed train from Howrah reached near Malwan station in
Fatehpur, about 120 kms from Lucknow. The train was moving at
a speed of 108 km/hour. 249 people were injured in the
Rescue and relief operations by the police, Army and
National Disaster Response team were over yesterday and rail
traffic on the busy New Delhi-Howrah route resumed today after
the tracks were cleared of the debris.
"From the inquiry so far, it is clear that the accident
did not take place either due to emergency breaks or turning
point used to connect the tracks," General Manager of North
Central Railway Harish Chandra Joshi told reporters in
The Commissioner of Railway Safety is probing the
In Kanpur, Congress leader Rahul Gandhi today met
injured passengers at the hospital here and following
complaints that no compensation has been received by them,
pulled up railway officials.
During his nearly 40-minute visit to Hallett hospital,
Rahul, who was accompanied by Union Coal Minister Sriprakash
Jaiswal and senior rail and other officials, inquired about
the condition of those undergoing treatment in the Burns,
Emergency and ICU wards from their families and doctors,
officials said here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble