UP train-van collision kills 16
Hathras (UP): Sixteen people were today
killed and three others seriously injured when the
Mathura-Kasganj Express rammed into an overcrowded jeep at an
unmanned railway crossing here.
The accident took place at the unmanned railway crossing
near Maidu Railway Station at 7:19 AM in the district,
Superintendent of Police Chandra Prakash said.
The jeep was carrying about 20 passengers, all coming
from Sathia village in Sasni tehsil.
Prakash said that last night one Munne Khan (40)
committed suicide in Sathiya village and his family members
along with other villagers were going to Hathras for the post
Railway Minister Mukul Roy has announced an exgratia
payment of Rs 2 lakh each to the family of those killed in the
mishap and Rs 15,000 to the injured.
A railway spokesperson said in New Delhi that though the
mishap took place due to the fault of the road users, the
minister has announced the ex-gratia as a "special gesture of
compassion and sympathy for the victims".
Railway sources in Delhi said the mishap took place when
the jeep tried to cross the track even as the train was
There are 14,853 unmanned railway crossings in the
Those killed in the accident have been identified as
Mukhtayar Khan, Budu Khan, his brother Mubarak Khan and wife
Haseena, Shamshad Khan, Balbeer Singh, Munne Khan, Aslam,
Bilkis Bano, Achchan Khan and his brother Gaffar Khan, Honey,
Riyazuddin, Rifazat and Major Khan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Islamic State selling sex slaves on Facebook for $8,000
- Puducherry: Narayanasamy to meet Lt Gov Kiran Bedi today, stake claim to form govt
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report