UP train-van collision kills 16
Hathras (UP): Sixteen people were today
killed and three others seriously injured when the
Mathura-Kasganj Express rammed into an overcrowded jeep at an
unmanned railway crossing here.
The accident took place at the unmanned railway crossing
near Maidu Railway Station at 7:19 AM in the district,
Superintendent of Police Chandra Prakash said.
The jeep was carrying about 20 passengers, all coming
from Sathia village in Sasni tehsil.
Prakash said that last night one Munne Khan (40)
committed suicide in Sathiya village and his family members
along with other villagers were going to Hathras for the post
Railway Minister Mukul Roy has announced an exgratia
payment of Rs 2 lakh each to the family of those killed in the
mishap and Rs 15,000 to the injured.
A railway spokesperson said in New Delhi that though the
mishap took place due to the fault of the road users, the
minister has announced the ex-gratia as a "special gesture of
compassion and sympathy for the victims".
Railway sources in Delhi said the mishap took place when
the jeep tried to cross the track even as the train was
There are 14,853 unmanned railway crossings in the
Those killed in the accident have been identified as
Mukhtayar Khan, Budu Khan, his brother Mubarak Khan and wife
Haseena, Shamshad Khan, Balbeer Singh, Munne Khan, Aslam,
Bilkis Bano, Achchan Khan and his brother Gaffar Khan, Honey,
Riyazuddin, Rifazat and Major Khan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday