UP: Truck driver killed for refusing to pay bribe
New Delhi: Hundreds of angry villagers on Monday blocked the vehicular movement on National Highway No-2 in Chandauli and clashed with police after a truck driver was beaten to death following his refusal to give bribe to the RTO officials.
According to reports, truck driver Anant Lal Gupta was intercepted by the RTO officials, who were on routine checking at the NH-2 in Chandauli. ARTO Radeshyam, who was checking Anant’s driving license and vehicle documents, demanded a bribe to let off his truck.
However, Anant categorically refused to give in to the ARTO’s demand and was consequently beaten till his death. Anant’s death infuriated other truck drivers, who were joined by locals in protesting the police action.
The situation soon turned out of control, when the police resorted to lathi charge to disperse the angry mob blocking the vehicular movement at the NH-2. Angry mob clashed with policemen and both sides sustained severe injuries.
Taking advantage of the situation, the accused ARTO Radheyshyam and his colleagues fled from the scene.
Chadauli SP, Salabh Mathur confirmed that severe clash has taken place between the police and the angry locals.
“All efforts are being made to catch the accused persons and an inquiry has begun. An FIR has been registered and the post-mortem will be conducted soon to determine the exact cause of the victim’s death,” he said.
The Chandauli SP has assured a prompt and fair investigation into the matter. Meanwhile, additional police reinforcement is being sent to the area for restoring law and order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL
- Drunk businessman molests air hostesses on Jet Airways Mumbai-Nagpur flight