UP urban local body polls: BJP to form steering co
Lucknow: In the wake of forth coming urban local body elections in Uttar Pradesh, the state BJP on Thursday decided to constitute steering committees at district and region levels, and announced that it would contest the polls on its symbol.
"When Mayawati government decided that local body polls would not be held on party-lines BJP protested the move and said that it should be held on party symbols," newly appointed BJP`s UP president Laxmikant Bajpai told reporters here.
"A meeting of the party`s core group was held today in which it was decided that initially steering committees will be constituted at district and region levels in the wake of local body polls," Bajpai said.
Bajpai said the formal organisation, including state executive and district units would be done after the elections.
"As there is possibility of polls being held in June, it was felt that district units are needed first," he said.
The state president said that during poll period membership campaign would be launched in rural areas and after elections it would be carried out in urban areas.
"It has been decided that wards would be the units in urban areas and gram sabha will be smallest unit in rural areas," he said.
Bajpai said that the party has decided to reorganise its mandal units for which a three-member committee would be constituted which would submit its report within 15 days.
He alleged that SP government was slowly getting exposed on the law and order front and losing faith of the people on the basis of which it got clear mandate.
"Between March and April, 212 murders took place in the state of which SP men were involved in seven, 39 rape cases were reported and SP worker was involved in one," he alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA