UP urban local body polls: BJP to form steering co
Lucknow: In the wake of forth coming urban local body elections in Uttar Pradesh, the state BJP on Thursday decided to constitute steering committees at district and region levels, and announced that it would contest the polls on its symbol.
"When Mayawati government decided that local body polls would not be held on party-lines BJP protested the move and said that it should be held on party symbols," newly appointed BJP`s UP president Laxmikant Bajpai told reporters here.
"A meeting of the party`s core group was held today in which it was decided that initially steering committees will be constituted at district and region levels in the wake of local body polls," Bajpai said.
Bajpai said the formal organisation, including state executive and district units would be done after the elections.
"As there is possibility of polls being held in June, it was felt that district units are needed first," he said.
The state president said that during poll period membership campaign would be launched in rural areas and after elections it would be carried out in urban areas.
"It has been decided that wards would be the units in urban areas and gram sabha will be smallest unit in rural areas," he said.
Bajpai said that the party has decided to reorganise its mandal units for which a three-member committee would be constituted which would submit its report within 15 days.
He alleged that SP government was slowly getting exposed on the law and order front and losing faith of the people on the basis of which it got clear mandate.
"Between March and April, 212 murders took place in the state of which SP men were involved in seven, 39 rape cases were reported and SP worker was involved in one," he alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!