UP urban local body polls: BJP to form steering co
Lucknow: In the wake of forth coming urban local body elections in Uttar Pradesh, the state BJP on Thursday decided to constitute steering committees at district and region levels, and announced that it would contest the polls on its symbol.
"When Mayawati government decided that local body polls would not be held on party-lines BJP protested the move and said that it should be held on party symbols," newly appointed BJP`s UP president Laxmikant Bajpai told reporters here.
"A meeting of the party`s core group was held today in which it was decided that initially steering committees will be constituted at district and region levels in the wake of local body polls," Bajpai said.
Bajpai said the formal organisation, including state executive and district units would be done after the elections.
"As there is possibility of polls being held in June, it was felt that district units are needed first," he said.
The state president said that during poll period membership campaign would be launched in rural areas and after elections it would be carried out in urban areas.
"It has been decided that wards would be the units in urban areas and gram sabha will be smallest unit in rural areas," he said.
Bajpai said that the party has decided to reorganise its mandal units for which a three-member committee would be constituted which would submit its report within 15 days.
He alleged that SP government was slowly getting exposed on the law and order front and losing faith of the people on the basis of which it got clear mandate.
"Between March and April, 212 murders took place in the state of which SP men were involved in seven, 39 rape cases were reported and SP worker was involved in one," he alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in