‘UPA handling AMU affairs flippantly’
Aligarh: A statutory body connected with the Aligarh Muslim University on Wednesday alleged the UPA government at the Centre was handling AMU affairs in an inept manner as was evident from the inordinate delay in appointment of varsity`s Vice-Chancellor.
"The inexplicable delay, which has left the institution headless, is a grim pointer to the fact that the UPA government is dealing with the AMU affairs in a casual and flippant manner," Honorary Secretary of the AMU Old Boys` Association Kaukab Hameed told mediapersons here.
"A large number of students are having their careers at stake because the university has no permanent Vice-Chancellor, Chancellor and Pro-Chancellor for the past several weeks," he said.
After a delay of several months, the AMU court had on April 15 forwarded three shortlisted names for the post of Vice-Chancellor to the President of India who is also the Visitor of the university, Hameed said.
"The file should have been cleared with due urgency if the government has been sincere about putting the university back on the rails," he said.
Hameed also called for amending the AMU constitution for changing the procedure for selecting the Vice-Chancellor which, he alleged, was an important factor behind the present mess at the campus.
"We demand, like other central varsities, the AMU should also have the provision of a properly constituted search committee. The present complicated system should end," Hameed said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report