‘UPA handling AMU affairs flippantly’
Aligarh: A statutory body connected with the Aligarh Muslim University on Wednesday alleged the UPA government at the Centre was handling AMU affairs in an inept manner as was evident from the inordinate delay in appointment of varsity`s Vice-Chancellor.
"The inexplicable delay, which has left the institution headless, is a grim pointer to the fact that the UPA government is dealing with the AMU affairs in a casual and flippant manner," Honorary Secretary of the AMU Old Boys` Association Kaukab Hameed told mediapersons here.
"A large number of students are having their careers at stake because the university has no permanent Vice-Chancellor, Chancellor and Pro-Chancellor for the past several weeks," he said.
After a delay of several months, the AMU court had on April 15 forwarded three shortlisted names for the post of Vice-Chancellor to the President of India who is also the Visitor of the university, Hameed said.
"The file should have been cleared with due urgency if the government has been sincere about putting the university back on the rails," he said.
Hameed also called for amending the AMU constitution for changing the procedure for selecting the Vice-Chancellor which, he alleged, was an important factor behind the present mess at the campus.
"We demand, like other central varsities, the AMU should also have the provision of a properly constituted search committee. The present complicated system should end," Hameed said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Uttarakhand: BJP MLA Prem Singh Rana insulted during CM Harish Rawat's speech
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth