‘UPA handling AMU affairs flippantly’
Aligarh: A statutory body connected with the Aligarh Muslim University on Wednesday alleged the UPA government at the Centre was handling AMU affairs in an inept manner as was evident from the inordinate delay in appointment of varsity`s Vice-Chancellor.
"The inexplicable delay, which has left the institution headless, is a grim pointer to the fact that the UPA government is dealing with the AMU affairs in a casual and flippant manner," Honorary Secretary of the AMU Old Boys` Association Kaukab Hameed told mediapersons here.
"A large number of students are having their careers at stake because the university has no permanent Vice-Chancellor, Chancellor and Pro-Chancellor for the past several weeks," he said.
After a delay of several months, the AMU court had on April 15 forwarded three shortlisted names for the post of Vice-Chancellor to the President of India who is also the Visitor of the university, Hameed said.
"The file should have been cleared with due urgency if the government has been sincere about putting the university back on the rails," he said.
Hameed also called for amending the AMU constitution for changing the procedure for selecting the Vice-Chancellor which, he alleged, was an important factor behind the present mess at the campus.
"We demand, like other central varsities, the AMU should also have the provision of a properly constituted search committee. The present complicated system should end," Hameed said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015