‘UPA handling AMU affairs flippantly’
Aligarh: A statutory body connected with the Aligarh Muslim University on Wednesday alleged the UPA government at the Centre was handling AMU affairs in an inept manner as was evident from the inordinate delay in appointment of varsity`s Vice-Chancellor.
"The inexplicable delay, which has left the institution headless, is a grim pointer to the fact that the UPA government is dealing with the AMU affairs in a casual and flippant manner," Honorary Secretary of the AMU Old Boys` Association Kaukab Hameed told mediapersons here.
"A large number of students are having their careers at stake because the university has no permanent Vice-Chancellor, Chancellor and Pro-Chancellor for the past several weeks," he said.
After a delay of several months, the AMU court had on April 15 forwarded three shortlisted names for the post of Vice-Chancellor to the President of India who is also the Visitor of the university, Hameed said.
"The file should have been cleared with due urgency if the government has been sincere about putting the university back on the rails," he said.
Hameed also called for amending the AMU constitution for changing the procedure for selecting the Vice-Chancellor which, he alleged, was an important factor behind the present mess at the campus.
"We demand, like other central varsities, the AMU should also have the provision of a properly constituted search committee. The present complicated system should end," Hameed said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- Team India to attend preparatory camp under new coach Anil Kumble!
- Like seriously! Marijuana is legal in these 8 countries
- Security alert! Islamic State militants release 'kill list', target 4000 people including 285 Indians
- Nephew Krushna Abhishek apologises to Govinda! – Know why
- 'Tulsidas ji pranam' — Read Bihar's topper Ruby Rai's 'shocking' essay on famous poet