‘UPPCB closed 65 industrial units polluting Ganga’
Kanpur: Days after Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh expressed unhappiness over its inaction in cleaning the Ganga, the UP Pollution Control Board said it was working towards cleaning the river and had closed down 65 industrial units polluting it.
Ramesh, who was here to participate in `Ganga river basin management workshop` organised by IIT-Kanpur on August 28, had rued the inaction of the board in working towards cleaning the Ganges and said that the responsibility of making the river
pollution free will now be entrusted upon the Central Pollution Control Board.
"Our department does not agree with Union Minister`s comment that the state pollution control board is inactive," Radheshyam, Regional Officer of Uttar Pradesh Pollution
Control Board told a news agency.
Uttar Pradesh pollution control board has closed down 65 tanneries in Kanpur for polluting the river Ganga by discharging wastes into it without treatment and asked the
administration to issue notices to seven more such tanneries.
Eight factories involved in dyeing were already shut down to contain pollution at Farrukhabad, he said.
The Environment Ministry has also ordered the Central Pollution Control Board to immediately shut down nearly 170 factories and tanneries located between Kannauj and Varanasi covering an area of 450 km that were found responsible for polluting the river by discharging wastes into it without treatment.
Ramesh also asked the Central Pollution Control Board not to depend on the state boards to carry out the order.
Radheshyam, however, said that there were no industrial units between Kannauj and Varanasi which is polluting the river by discharging wastes into it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming