UP`s farmers get loan waiver on Mulayam`s birthday
Lucknow: The Akhilesh Yadav-led Uttar Pradesh government on Thursday announced a loan waiver for farmers who had mortgaged their agricultural lands and taken loans of up to Rs 50,000 from the state`s cooperative banks.
The announcement was timed to coincide with the birthday of Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, father of Chief Minister Akhilesh, and is likely to benefit 7.2 lakh farmers in the state.
Akhilesh Yadav made the announcement Thursday and told reporters that the decision was in line with the promise made by the Samajwadi Party (SP) in its election manifesto.
He said the waiver would apply to all those farmers who have paid back 10 percent of the loan and interest till March 2012.
The chief minister said budgetary allocations had been already made to foot the bill of the waiver, which is likely to cost the exchequer Rs 1,650 crore.
Akhilesh Yadav said his government was committed to the welfare and prosperity of the state`s farmers, and many more decisions would be taken in their interest.
He also said that sugarcane support prices would soon be announced.
The state cabinet earlier this week left it to the chief minister to announce the sugarcane support prices.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’