UP`s farmers get loan waiver on Mulayam`s birthday
Lucknow: The Akhilesh Yadav-led Uttar Pradesh government on Thursday announced a loan waiver for farmers who had mortgaged their agricultural lands and taken loans of up to Rs 50,000 from the state`s cooperative banks.
The announcement was timed to coincide with the birthday of Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, father of Chief Minister Akhilesh, and is likely to benefit 7.2 lakh farmers in the state.
Akhilesh Yadav made the announcement Thursday and told reporters that the decision was in line with the promise made by the Samajwadi Party (SP) in its election manifesto.
He said the waiver would apply to all those farmers who have paid back 10 percent of the loan and interest till March 2012.
The chief minister said budgetary allocations had been already made to foot the bill of the waiver, which is likely to cost the exchequer Rs 1,650 crore.
Akhilesh Yadav said his government was committed to the welfare and prosperity of the state`s farmers, and many more decisions would be taken in their interest.
He also said that sugarcane support prices would soon be announced.
The state cabinet earlier this week left it to the chief minister to announce the sugarcane support prices.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?