UP`s food scam: CBI raids 12 places in Lucknow
Lucknow: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) raided as many as twelve places in Lucknow on Saturday in connection with the multi-million-rupee foodgrain scam which took place during the Mulayam Singh Yadav regime in 2004. The present Prisons Minister, Raghuraj Pratap Singh alias Raja Bhaiyya, was then food and civil supplies minister.
CBI sleuths raided places in Gosainganj, Mohanlalganj, Malihabad, Jiamau, Gomtinagar and Bakshi Ka Talaab areas of the state capital.
While CBI officials remained tight lipped about the raids, sources told a news agency that the raids were being conducted on the premises of contractors, suppliers and officials involved in disbursement of food grains to Below Poverty Line (BPL) beneficiaries under the Public Distribution System (PDS).
Investigations have revealed that the Uttar Pradesh foodgrain scam took place between 2002 and 2010 during which period foodgrains worth Rs 35,000 crore, meant for the poor, were sold in the open market with the connivance of government officials, politicians and middlemen.
The foodgrains were meant to be given to the poor through welfare schemes like Antyodaya Anna Yojana (AAY), Jawahar Rozgar Yojana and Midday Meal Scheme. Some of the smuggled foodgrain was even traced to the Nepal and Bangladesh border areas.
The Special Investigation Team (SIT) set up by the Mulayam Singh government in 2006, lodged over 5,000 FIRs and his successor Mayawati, soon after assuming office, ordered a CBI probe into the scam Dec 1, 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!