UP`s new top cop favours commissioner system of policing
Lucknow: Newly-appointed Uttar Pradesh Director General of Police Rizwan Ahmed on Wednesday said he would push for prompt implementation of the commissioner system of policing in select towns and cities on a top priority-basis in the coming days.
Talking to a news agency, the top cop, who rose to the post superseding four others thus bagging the top post in world`s largest police force, said he had already, as director-general (railways), submitted a proposal to the state government on the commissioner format of policing for cities like Kanpur, Varanasi, Agra and Allahabad, as also state capital Lucknow.
Ahmed is a 1978-batch Indian Police Service officer.
"The ground work has been completed, and the state government is favourably disposed to the new format. I am sure things will move soon in the right direction" he told a news agency.
Listing another priority during his brief, two-month term (he is set to retire Feb 28), the new DGP said he would sensitise policemen to the problems of the people, and ensure that they were more caring and careful in dealing with members of the public.
Admitting that his was a brief tenure, Ahmed, known for his proximity to ruling Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh, said he would try to do whatever was best for the state and its populace.
The new police chief has been given the charge of ensuring communal peace. His mission is to promptly contain communal flare-ups, if any.
Many senior officials, however, aver that he has little time on his hands, too little to effect lasting changes.
"The state needs a long-serving top cop to initiate far-reaching changes. This (appointment) is a stop-gap arrangement, just the political leadership sending a message to the minorities in the state," a senior police official said.
Ahmed is the first Muslim police chief in the state.
This is also the first time that both top posts in the state government - that of chief secretary and director general of police - are held by Muslims.
The leadership of the Samajwadi Party, under fire for its handling of the Muzaffarnagar riots and its aftermath, faced pressure from party cadre to have a Muslim face as the top police official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow